Queen Elizabeth II's State Visit to Dubai 1979
Queen Elizabeth II's visit fulfilled a promise to Sheikh Rashid. He first met the Queen in 1961. They became friends. Sheikh Rashid subsequently made many private visits to Buckingham Palace with the Queen promising to visit Dubai.
The Gulf Itinerary
The Queen had flown by Concorde Supersonic Airliner to Kuwait. Her 3 week itinerary included a 3 day visit to Dubai. Queen Elizabeth II flew from Abu Dhabi to the "new" Dubai International Airport and was met by Sheikh Rashid. Over the next two days Sheikh Rashid kept the Queen busy officially opening many of his projects, some of which had been opened before!
The British Connection
These projects had strong connections with Britain usually because British Engineers and Construction Companies had been responsible for their design and construction.
Queen Elizabeth II's Dubai Itinerary
Sunday 25th February 1979
- 5:00 pm Arrive Dubai International Airport
- 5:25 pm Arrive at Dubai Municipal Building where the Queen will be presented with the Key to Dubai
- 5:40 pm Arrive at Holy Trinity Church
- 6:25 pm Leave Church for HMY Britannia
- 8:35 pm Jumeirah Guest Palace for Dinner with Sheikh Rashid
Monday 26th February 1979
- 7:30 am Leave Port Rashid in HMY Britannia for Jebel Ali.
- 10:00 am Unveil Plaque to open Jebel Ali Port.
- 10:10 am Car Tour of Jebel Ali Port and Industrial Area.
- 10:30 am Visit Dubal Aluminum Smelter Plant.
- 11:25 am Arrive Trade Centre.
- 12:10 pm Lunch at Hilton Hotel. Reception by the Chamber of Commerce.
(Hotel became World Trade Centre
Hotel. Demolished in 2006)
- 4:05 pm Open Dubai Drydocks.
- 4:35 pm Trip up Dubai Creek on a Dhow.
- 5:00 pm Land at Jetty near British Embassy and walk to Embassy gardens talking to Students and Well Wishers on the way.
- Dinner on board HMY Britannia with Sheikh Rashid
- 10:30 pm Beating the Retreat
- 10:45 pm HMY Britannia sails for Oman
More about Queen Elizabeth's visit to Dubai here...